Your registration on the Pool List entitles you to the specific social security regime for seafarers under the Belgian system.
Criteria of the management committee of seafarers
The management committee of seafarers of the NSSO is the body that decides on registrations on the Pool List. The management committee considers the following criteria:
- professional ability,
- morals of the candidate, and
- the real need for workers.
Conditions for registration
In order to be registered, you must comply with the following conditions:
- reside in Belgium (EU citizens are not subject to this condition),
- have been found physically and mentally suitable in a medical examination,
- hold an internationally valid vaccination certificate that shows compliance with all requirements to work in the profession,
- be able to present a copy of your criminal record or other required information relating to moral requirements, and
- have the capacity to do the job for which you are applying.
If the marine inspection regulations require possession of a licence, diploma or certificate, you must be able to present either the required Belgian licence, diploma or certificate, or a certificate of equivalence issued by the marine inspection services.
Non-EU citizens may register on the Pool List in the event of a shortage of eligible EU citizens. They must comply with the conditions set out above.
The registration of non-EU citizens is only valid for a period of one year, counting from date to date. It acts as a work permit to work in Belgian merchant shipping. The one-year period can be extended for further one-year periods.
|Application for registration on the Pool List||Download|