Are you a foreign contractor and are entering into a direct contract with a client in Belgium? Does the contract involve working in immovable property or activities in the meat sector?
Then you are obligated to declare your employment and register your presence. Enter these declarations using the online services ‘Declaration of Employment (in French)’ and ‘Checkinatwork ». To use these services, you must have secured access to the portal of the Belgian Social Security services. You can request access using this request form.
The workplaces for which Checkinatwork is used must be declared in the Declaration of Employment (in French).
Would you like to know more? Watch the Checkinatwork film.
Checkinatwork is the online service for the registration of presence for working in immovable property and activities relating to the meat sector.
This is the registration of:
- everyone who works in an immovable property at a workplace for which the total cost is equal to or higher than a specific threshold amount
- and everyone performing activities in connection with meat preparation or meat products and slaughter or cutting of ungulates, fowl and rabbits in facilities subject to the acknowledgment (acknowledgments, approvals and prior registrations) of the Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain (FAVV)
The system contains various parallel channels: an online service (desktop and mobile), a gateway and a web service. Checkinatwork is linked to the Declaration of Employment (in French).
Checkinatwork is intended for both foreign employers and employees:
- As an employer or contractor who works in immovable property you indicate the people who are present at certain workplaces. The system registers who is present at which site and when.
- The service also offers a registration method to the foreign employees or independent contractors. They must ensure that their presence is registered at the workplace. They can also register in the system before they arrive at the workplace.
Registration of presence is obligatory:
- For everyone who works in an immovable property at a workplace for which the total cost is equal to or higher than a specific threshold amount:
The work has begun... Threshold amount In the period from 01-Apr-2014 through 29-Feb-2016 800,000 euro After 29-Feb-2016 500,000 euro
- for everyone performing activities in connection with meat preparation or meat products and the slaughter and cutting of ungulates, fowl and rabbits in facilities subject to the acknowledgment (acknowledgments, approvals and prior registrations) of the Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain (FAVV)
The responsibility for registration lies both with the person who is sending someone to work as well as with the person doing the work. They must have a mutual agreement about who performs the registration, and both parties must check that the registration has taken place.
A foreign employee or independent contractor can do the following via the available channels:
- register themselves scanning the QR-code on their Limosa form L1 with a QR reader,
- be registered by a representative of a Belgian company, a colleague or a team leader who has secure access to the online service Checkinatwork,
- be registered by a representative of a Belgian company, a colleague or a team leader who scans the QR-code on their Limosa form L1 using a QR reader, or
- have themselves registered by a foreign company which has secure access to the online service Checkinatwork.
As a foreign contractor you can do the presence registrations yourself by scanning the QR codes on the Limosa 1 documents using the mobile online service. For this you do not need secure access to the Belgian Social Security portal.
In order to use the online service Checkinatwork and to register, query and delete presences, you fill in the request form for secure access to the portal of the Belgian social security services.
To fill in the form, you need the following information:
- a Belgian company number (CBE number);
- a main access manager (in French) of your own company. This main access manager needs a Belgian national register number or a bis number.
If you do not have these identification numbers, when filling out the form you will be directed to the online services (Declaration of Employment and Limosa) with which you can receive them.
Within two weeks of your request you will receive access information for the main access manager by post.
The registration must occur before the person working in the immovable property begins work.
The presence registration of the employee or independent contractor must e done daily or for each working day.
More info about Checkinatwork? Watch the animated film
The registration is very flexible. There are various channels via which you can maneuver as you wish. You can choose between reporting on site or remotely.
The foreign contractor must always have proof of their Limosa declaration on them (L1 document). To register their presence, they only have to scan the QR code found in the L1 document.
Pour pouvoir utiliser un service en ligne sécurisé, vous devez registered (in French) on the portal of Belgian social security.
The online service via desktop
The online service offers you the following functionalities:
- manual entry of information,
- entry via wizard which calls up data from various databases,
- querying of presence registrations that you have made and which were made from your workplaces.
Using manual entry you indicate which employee or contractor:
- existing personnel;
- new employees;
- foreign employees;
- independent contractors
The wizard of the online service was specially designed to make registrations in large numbers easy. With the wizard you can:
- collect and use information from the databases of Dimona and Declaration of Work;
- register multiple employees at the same time;
- register employees for multiple days;
- register the employees of your sub-contractors using existing registrations.
What you need:
- a PC,
- an internet connection, and
- a secure access to this portal.
The mobile online service
The mobile version of the online service has all of the functions of the desktop version:
- manual entry,
- wizard, and
- use of QR codes of the Limosa declarations and printing of posters for the workplace.
What you need:
- a smartphone,
- an internet connection, and
- a secure connection to the social security portal.
Are you an independent contractor? To use the mobile online service, ask for a user name and password with your eID and a card reader.
To set up a gateway, the local administrator must give you access to the ‘Checkinatwork Gateway’ via the access administration online service (in French).
The registration occurs at the workplace where the gateway serves as a sort of access portal. The contractor declaring work or the building management initializes the gateway with their user name and password. They will provide a computer with which the employees or independent contractors can register. This can be done with:
- national registration number or
- Limosa number.
What you need:
- a computer at the workplace,
- an eID card reader, and
- an internet connection.
Watch a short report about using the gateway (in French).
The web service
Your existing system communicates with the web service to register the presence at the workplace. You can integrate it with your planning system, track and trace, or registration system. Contact your software supplier to install the web service.
With this web service, you register and cancel presences at the workplace.
What you need:
- your own registration system and
- a software development to connect to the Checkinatwork database.
To use the web service, follow these steps:
Watch a short report about using the web service (in French).
- Exchanging data with web services with the web service catalog (UDDI Registry) (in French)
- Specifications for the development of the Checkinatwork web service
The NSSO wants to emphasize that does not acknowledge the certification of the solutions of your software supplier, even if they function with the web services made available by the NSSO. This is not the task of the NSSO.
Also be aware that the fact that you are using a solution/software administered by a supplier does not release you from the liability arising from the application of the law.
Which data are stored?
Checkinatwork is a secure service which collects information from various databases. The presence registration links the following information which the social security administration already knows:
- Identification of a natural person:
- Their national registration number or
- Limosa L1 number for an individual who is not subject to Belgian social security.
- The identification of companies or independent contractors via their company number.
- The workplace via the number of the workplace from the Declaration of Employment.
- The registration date: the days on which the relevant person will be present at the workplace.